Thursday, July 9, 2015

Teething: Ain't nobody got time for that!


It's hard to get a clear picture from a fast screeming baby

Remember when you were a little one and you were sprouting your first set of chompers? No? Me either. I pray it's the same for our little guy. He's had the same four teeth for months now. He's currently 16 months old and we believe that he's starting to cut a few more these past few days. The poor guy has been miserable and has been making sure we're well aware of that fact. I can't blame him.

I remember what it was like having braces and that sucked most of the time. Each month (or however long it was), you'd go into the orthodontist and they'd tighten those metal contraptions to sloooowly move your teeth into the proper position. I can only imagine this practice evolved from some type of medieval torture device. "We have ways of making you talk Mr. Bond". I'm not sure which was worse, four years of that, or a super condensed week long version that Emerson is experiencing. Either way, I'm ready for it to be over. For both our sake.

The past two days have been much better. He's moved past the, "Get out of my way or I'll run you over with a steamroller" to the "I'm kind of miserable, please just hold me and everything will be fine". We've tried to use popsicles and other chilled teething toys, but he hardly wants to put anything in his mouth. Including food. He's always been a picky eater, but the last couple weeks have definitely been a challenge for Danae. I'm hoping that once his new teeth come through, he'll be so anxious to scarf down his meals that we we can slip in a few green veggies. I can dream right?

I was telling Danae that I remember as a kid, having insanely sharp pains in my legs. My parents told me they were due to me having growth spurts. When I'd go to sleep at night, we'd have to put hot water bottles on my shins because they hurt so bad. I don't remember how old I was, but I do remember how awful that was. Apparently this growing up stuff is hard. Whoda thunk it?

Overall, he really is taking it like a champ. He's at that age where he's very aware of what's going on, and what he'd like us to know, yet can't quite verbalize everything. Imagine how frustrating that would be! I picture being in a foreign country and desperately needing a specific type of medicine. You can't tell someone what you need because they don't understand you. It would be frustrating and scary.



Even though I know what's going on in his mouth, my stamina has been running low. I feel really bad getting frustrated with him, because I understand the root issue. But it's hard. It's hard to keep that game face on in the presence of a red faced toddler. I've been praying to be filled with patience and grace. I guess God's been sending me plenty of opportunities to practice just that.

Luckily, this is just a short season of life. I know it's temporary. I know it's not the most difficult thing for us on the horizon. It's always the most difficult when you're in the middle of it. I'm just anxious for that sweet hindsight. The time when we can look back on it and laugh as we think to ourselves, "Wow...we thought THAT was difficult?"

Keep going strong Emerson, you've just got a little further to go.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment